Ζώνη Βοΐου : μνημειακή τοπογραφία και εικονογραφία της περιοχήςPart of : Το Αρχαιολογικό Έργο στη Μακεδονία και στη Θράκη ; Vol.8, No.1, 1994, pages 37-46
Zoni, Voio province : monumental topography and iconography of the area
Four churches dating to the 17th to 19th cc., complete with wall paintings and treasures, have been located in the village of Zoni in the province of Voio, Kozani prefecture. The church known as Paliomonastero (‘old monastery’) is dedicated to the Birth and Presentation of the Theotokos and was built in 1632 on a road that linked Epiros with Macedonia and Albania. It was frescoed in 1653 by a painter who was probably from the Kastoria area. The individual subjects and certain unusual variations clearly reveal the influence of the religious painting of Macedonia and the Palaeologan tradition. The three oldest icons in the area, from the 2nd half of the 17th c., probably come from this church’s older chancel screen. They illustrate the Presentation of the Theotokos, the Archangel Michael, and St Athanasius, and are devoutly venerated hereabouts. They are chiefly characterised by the strong influence of the local tradition. The Monastery of the Presentation of the Theotokos was founded in the 2nd half of the 18th c. The five oldest icons on the screen date to 1787, while the now ruined frescoes were painted in 1799. The church also has 9 icons, probably from the epistyle of the screen, that clearly reflect the Epirot folk tradition of the18th to 19th c. The parish Church of St Theodore, finally, which was restored in1857, has some outstanding stone reliefs, while the Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos preserves icons of the 19th c.
Περιέχει σχέδια και εικόνες