Ανασκαφή στη θέση «Ψηλή βρύση» της ΈδεσσαςPart of : Το Αρχαιολογικό Έργο στη Μακεδονία και στη Θράκη ; Vol.21, No.1, 2007, pages 69-76
Excavation at the site of Psili Vrisi, Edessa
Within the framework of construction of the “South Bypass of Edessa”, alongside the old National Highway linking Edessa and Fiorina, part of a monastery complex was revealed in 2007, including its katholikon, outbuildings, and cemetery, all datable to the Late Byzantine period ( 13th- 14th c.). The church is of the single-naved ambulatory type, built in accordance with the prevailing tendencies during that era. Its first phase dates back to the first half of the 13th century.The church and monastery were in honor of Saints Cosmas and Damian, as emerges from part of an inscribed lintel found during the excavation. The monastery’s founding should be placed in the period of alternating suzerainty between the Despotate of Epirusand the Empire of Nicaea (1239-1258).Towards the end of the 13th century, the monastery’s apogee began, with the complex as a whole acquiring additional buildings north, south, and west of the church.Around, and within the katholikon, more than 40 burials were investigated. For the most part, they belonged to men, which confirms the complex’s operation as a monastery.The abandonment and destruction of the area is dated by the finds to the late 14th century. These may be connected with the destructions of Edessa by earthquake and flood, and the conquest of the region by the Ottomans, events well known to us from the sources.
Περιέχει εικόνες και σχήματα