Οι τοιχογραφίες του αγίου Νικολάου Μαύρικα στην ΑίγιναPart of : Αρχαιολογικόν δελτίον ; Vol.56, 2001, pages 365-382
The wall-paintings op the church op Ayios Nikolaos Mavrika on Aigina
The Byzantine church of Ayios Nikolaos Mavrika stands in the lower south slopes of the hill at Paliachora on Aigina. It is a distinctive variation of the distyle, domed cross-in-square church. The disproportionately long east part, which ends in a semicircular apse, is probably the product of an extension in the 16th century. The wall-painted decoration of the monument is preserved only sporadically, since the larger part of the surfaces are now whitewashed. The wall-paintings that are preserved or have been revealed include three phases of decoration and three inscriptions. Two of the inscriptions, corresponding with the second phase, give the same date, the year 1330, while the third dates the third phase to the year 1522.1st phase. The paintings of this phase that have been revealed are Christ Pantokrator at the west end of the north wall of the east arm of the cross, and St George on horseback slaying the dragon on the east wall of the north arm of the cross. T hese wall-paintings may be dated on stylistic grounds to the second half of the 13th century.2nd phase. To this phase belong the other preserved wall-paintings of the nave, which are dated by the two founder’s inscriptions to the year 1330. One inscription also gives the name of the painter Georgios of Aras, and the partly effaced name of the ruler, probably the Catalan Alfonso Fadrique of Aragon. In the lower parts of the church, the iconographie programme, insofar as it is preserved, includes a frontal hierarch (St Basil) on the north-west pillar and the Virgin in a stance of supplication on the south-west pier. The south barrel vault has depictions of the Raising of Lazarus and the Birth of the Virgin. On the north barrel vault are depicted seated apostles, probably from the representation of Pentecost.3rd phase. This phase includes the wall-paintings in the east part of the church and on the built templon, which are dated by an inscription to 19 May 1522. This inscription refe rs for the first time to the fact that the church is dedicated to St Nicholas, and members of the Varouchas family are named as the new founders. The preserved wall-paintings are the Platytera in the apse, the Virgin and Child enthroned at the north of the built templon and Christ enthroned in the type of the Pantokrator at the south. On the south wall, next to the templon, is John the Baptist and the enthroned St Nicholas, and, finally, St Peter on the north wall.These three phases of the decoration of Ayios Nikolaos Mavrika, which date from three different periods, those of Frankish, Catalan and Venetian rule, reflect the long, tumultuous history of Paliachora.
Πρόκειται για τη δημοσίευση ομότιτλης ανακοίνωσης στο Α' Διεθνές Συνέδριο Ιστορίας - Αρχαιολογίας του Αργοσαρωνικού, Πόρος 26-29 Ιουνίου 1998 (βλ. τεύχος περιλήψεων)., Περιέχει εικόνες, βιβλιογραφία και συντομογραφίες, Το άρθρο περιέχεται στο τεύχος: Μέρος Α'-Μελέτες