Η φιλόπτωχος αδελφότης ανδρών ΘεσσαλονίκηςPart of : Μακεδονικά ; Vol.27, 1989, pages 11-18
The Charity Men’s Fraternity of Thessalonik
The Charity Men’s Fraternity of Thessaloniki was founded on the 5th December 1871 by 150 persons of Thessaloniki. The minutes of its first general assembly have the biblical title «ταϋτα έντέλλομαι ύμΐν ϊνα αγαπάτε άλλήλους», which defines the future goals. The second general assembly (19.12.1871) approved the statute of the Fraternity and elected the first administrative committee. It is worth noticing that from the first days already the number of the donors and subscribers reached 265.The Fraternity provided for the establishing of an orphanage for the children of the dead fighters for the national idea in Macedonia, provided relief for the poor prisoners and the ill, independently of their race or religion. Furthermore with the Fraternity’s initiative two cemeteries were created on ground, which after hard efforts came into the Greek Community (it was claimed by the Bulgarians) and the founding of the church of Apostle Paul on the lot where he had taken refuge.Such were the activities of the Fraternity that it rightly became a national institution ol solidarity, which during the Macedonian Struggle succeeded in offering invaluable services of providence for the fighter and those suffering. The Fraternity continues its work to this day by whatever means are left.
856:https://ejournals.epublishing.ekt.gr/index.php/makedonika/article/view/5651, DOI: https://doi.org/10.12681/makedonika.90