Ουζντίνα Θεσπρωτίας : Η ιστορική διαδρομή, η πολεοδομική εξέλιξη και τα μνημεία ενός αρχαίου και μεσαιωνικού οικισμούPart of : Δελτίον της Χριστιανικής Αρχαιολογικής Εταιρείας ; Vol.33, 1991, pages 89-104
Uzdina of Thesprotia : History, Urban Development, and Monuments of an Ancient and Medieval Settlement
Ancient and Byzantine Uzdina, or Osdina, is locatedon a small hill near the Kalamas river, at a short distance from the present village in Thesprotia called PenteEkklisies. The ancient settlement was destroyed in A.D.167, most probably by the Romans. During the mid-Byzantine period, repairs were undertaken on the wallsand the settlement seems to have increased in prominence. New churches were erected during the 16th century, when the bridges were also repaired. The settlement was abandoned in the 18th century.The ancient pseudo-isodomic wall surrounds the settlement on all sides. Two gates are still visible. An ancientbridge and four moats have been discovered near thesettlement, and may date from the Hellenistic period.The Byzantine village was more extensive than the ancient settlement in both land and population. The limestone wall is 1.5m. thick.Houses are one or two storied,with two to three rooms on either storey. Both dry earthand mortar were employed in the masonry. The villagecentre was situated between the churches of the Panagiaand the Taxiarches.Nine churches and one monastery have been found atUzdina to date. The most important of the churches arethose of Hagios Athanasios, the Taxiarches, and thePanagia. The first of these was originally a cruciformchurch, but today, after many interventions, has theform of a single-cell structure. The Taxiarches churchdates from the 16th century and is a vaulted single-cellstructure with a substantial use of brick in the east wall.Wall-paintings therein date from the 17th century. Thesmall church of the Dormition of the Virgin is cruciformwith a three-sided apse. Two inscriptions in stone relatethat the church was erected in 1609, and that it wasinitially vaulted prior to its transformation into a cruciform structure in 1610. Wall-paintings inside date to themiddle of the 17th century.