Ἀπὸ τὸ Νευροκόπι στὴν Ἀθήνα : Ἡ ἐπιτύμβια ἐπιγραφὴ IG II/III(2) 10770 καὶ ἡ προέλευσή τηςPart of : Τεκμήρια ; Vol.6, 2001, pages 149-154
From Nevrokopi to Athens : Epitaph IG II/III(2) 10770 and its provenance
A funerary inscription decorated with relief and preserved in the SculptureCollection of the Athens National Museum (inv. no. 3319) was published inIG II/III^ 10770 as an Attic inscription. The inventory of sculptures of theNational Museum records, however, that it had been sent to Athens "fromThessalonike by the Defence Ministry with the document no. 20010/31-7-1914(from the war booty)". A study of the newspapers of Thessalonike underOthoman rule has shown that this inscription is neither from Attica nor fromThessalonike, but from Ano Nevrokopi (modern Gotse Delchev). Inantiquity, this area belonged to the territory of Nikopolis ad Nestum. Theinscription was published for the first time (with corrections and commentary)by the wellknown classicist of Thessalonike Petros N. Papageorgiou in thenewspaper Αλήθεια in Thessalonike (no. 450, of July 4th, 1906) under the title"A third inscription from Nevrokopion"; his edition was based on a copy sentto him by the Métropolite of Nevrokopion Theodoretos. In an earlier article("Inscription from Nevrokopion") in the same newspaper (no. 194, September21st, 1904 he had published two other inscription from the same area, again onthe basis of copies sent to him by the métropolite. The latter texts have beenincluded by G. Mihailov in the fourth volume of the corpus of the Greekinscription of Bulgraria (IGBulg IV) under the nos. 2342 and 2343 (SEG XXX589), following a notice of Charles Edson who knew of Papageorgiou'spublication. The identification of the third inscription explains the referencein the inventory of sculptures of the National Museum: the Greek army hadoccupied Ano Nevrokopi during the Greek-Bulgarian war of 1912-13; when itwithrew after the treaty of Bucarest (1913), it brought this inscription first theThessalonike and one year later to Athens.