'Αρχαίος πύργος ατούς ΔελφούςPart of : Αρχαιογνωσία ; Vol.1, No.2, 1980, pages 331-343
An ancient tower ner Delphi
Just below the national road of Delphi-Arachova and at an approximate distance of 1200 m SE of Kastallia spring, there stands an almost square structure, which measures 6,80 m at its base and stands 4,30 m. high. It is built of big blocks of hard grey limestone, in isodomic trapezoidal masonry with broached face. The structure is believed to be one of many similar towers, which formed a chain along the ancient road leading from Lebadeia to Delphi and served to control the road and the atea around. Since no strictly archaeological criteria can be used for the exact dating of the tower it is necessary to have recourse to historical evidence instead, and the conclusion reached is that in all likelihood the tower was built either during the Third Sacred War (356-346 B.C.), or at the period of the first Aetolian occupation of Delphi (300-289 B.C.) Bemains of brick-built graves found on the floor of the tower indicate its second use in Boman times as a burial place.