Ο ναός του Αγίου Δημητρίου (Αυγού) στα Δίδυμα της ΕρμιονίδαςPart of : Δελτίον της Χριστιανικής Αρχαιολογικής Εταιρείας ; Vol.34, 1992, pages 97-106
The Monastery of Ayios Demetrios at "Avgo" at Didyma, Ermioni
The monastery of Ayios Demetrios at "Avgo" is located on the rocky slopes of the mountain Avgo in Ermioni.Now deserted, the monastery consists of a two-storiedstructure (part of which is carved into the natural rock)and of a few partially ruined buildings. The katholikonis incorporated into the main building. This structure isa double church: the inner section carved into the rockis dedicated to Saint Demetrios and the outer section tothe Saints Theodore. Another rock-cut two-storey chapel,dedicated to the Transfiguration, is located somewhatfurther up the slope.It has not been possible to determine the date at whichthe monastery was founded. G. Soteriou attributed thechapel's frescoes to the eleventh-twelfth century, butthere is no historical evidence to support this. Thedouble-church presents certain similarities with othersimilar structures, especially those in the Cyclades andthe Aegean coast.The oldest historical reference (1696) comes from thetime of the second Venetian occupation of the district,according to the "Archivio di Stato" of the Venetianrepublic. The source indicates that the monastery consisted of a three-storey tower-like building with severalsmaller structures surrounding it. The monastery alsoseems to have been rich in property in the locality.Since the date of the monastery's foundation has notbeen determined, the author has attempted here toprove on the basis of both historical and stylistic material that it was in fact constructed between 1464 and1537, prior to the Ottoman occupation of this area,which previously belonged to the Palaeologos family.The monastery's monks took part in the War of Independence of 1821, and it was after this struggle that thecomplex was gradually deserted. The Greek authoritiesclosed it officially in 1833.